5. Foam roller exercise for upper back
A foam roller will help you to relieve pain in your back muscles, fix rounded shoulders, and improve your overall posture.
Initial position: Get a yoga mat and lie on it with your hips apart and your feet on the floor. Place your foam roller right under your upper middle back, in your shoulder blade area.
What to do:
- Bring your hands behind your head, this will support it. Bring your hips into a bridge pose, and hold your balance, supporting your body with your legs.
- Inhale, push your body from your heels, and roll on your spine. Stop when the roller reaches the top of your shoulder blades.
- Exhale and roll back until the roller reaches the bottom if your rib cage.
- Repeat this for 30-45 seconds.
6. Cat-cow exercise
The cat-cow exercise is perfect for stretching your back, lower spine, and core muscles.
Initial position: Stand on all fours on the yoga mat, place your hands right under your shoulders, and knees and feet hip-width apart. Keep your toes pointing toward your body. Your spine should be natural and straight, no bending or arching.
What to do:
- Cat position: exhale and engage your abdominal muscles. Arch your spine up toward the ceiling, bringing your head to your chest, aligned with your spine. Hold this for 10 seconds.
- Cow position: slowly start bringing your stomach toward the floor and try to feel the tension in your lower back. Bring your shoulder blades together. Hold this for 10 seconds and go back to the initial position.
- Repeat 15 times.